When Casey was three months old he developed eczema. Firstly on his face, then it expanded to his stomach and arms. Our hearts broke whenever he would remove his gloves, which were actually tight fitting socks, and scratch his face till it bled. I quickly grew tiresome of the “helpful” advice from strangers. No soap in the bath, use this cream, use that cream, whatever you do don’t use cortisone, keep breastfeeding, don’t breastfeed, my son had terrible eczema when he was a baby too, now he’s a pilot!
The first sign Casey had an allergy was a reaction from eating rice cereal with a tiny bit of formula mixed in. He quickly developed a bumpy red rash around his mouth wherever the formula had made contact. The doctor’s advice was extremely practical, “Just breastfeed till he’s two!” Little did she know that child number two was already on his way. Breastfeeding offered many benefits to Casey and myself but I probably wouldn’t recommend it as a form of natural conception!
Many superficial allergic reactions continued. Finally at 8 months when he held a piece of cheese and his whole hand swelled we got enough attention at the doctors to warrant a referral for an allergy skin prick test, in four months time. Four months was the wait in the private heath system. The public system was 18 months. The next four months were a waiting game to try and avoid allergens and constantly keep an antihistamine on standby.
The skin prick test showed extreme reactions to dairy, egg, fish and tree nuts. Twelve months later the list then grew to include cats, corn and wheat. Being as asthmatic meant that we now needed to carry an epi-pen with us at all times.
The night Casey picked up and tried an almond biscotti produced a snowballing effect that we could not have predicted. We called an ambulance and waited for the reaction. Apparently on first exposure there is no reaction as the body has not had the chance to develop the antibodies against the allergen. It’s the second exposure that may be fatal. Not exactly comforting news, but a relief to know that on this occasion, he would be all right.
The biscotti incident had happened when Casey was three and at a church meeting. As a result we had some pretty powerful prayer warriors sending messages of hope and healing in the right direction. The next day at work Andrew met a man whose daughter had died in his arms after drinking a bottle of formula. Fortunately she had been revived and now was living life without life threatening reactions, thanks to a naturopath. I was full of scepticism, and hope, as I phoned the number on the business card Andrew had received that day. I had tried using a homeopath for Casey’s eczema. Despite my optimism, it hadn’t helped.
Being the sort of person I am, I like the how and why behind the what. Steven Mouritidis has proven to be the perfect answer to our son’s heath needs. After looking at all of Casey’s skin prick tests he decided to do a hair test to check for levels of heavy metals in his system. The results were astonishing. His aluminum, cadmium, and lead levels were high, but the arsenic and antimony levels were off the chart! The recommended safe level of arsenic in the system is <0.02ug/g; Casey’s was 2.8ug/g. His antimony level was .99ug/g, where the recommended safe level is <0.066ug/g. As well as this, all of his essential elements, the good metals, were very low.
I wanted answers! How can a three-year-old boy get arsenic and antimony poisoning! Hours of research led me to the theories of Dr Jim Sprott. Dr Sprott is a New Zealand professor who has dedicated the past 10 years of his life to reducing the number of babies dying from Cot Death. He has written a very controversial book called Cot Death Cover Up. Dr Sprott’s explanation behind the arsenic poisoning was that sheepskins, especially from New Zealand, contained large quantities of arsenic due to sheep dip containing arsenic in the 1940’s through to the 1980’s. Although the arsenic in sheep dip has been removed, high arsenic levels still remained in the New Zealand soil, which grows the grass that the sheep ate. The only way for the sheep to excrete the arsenic from their systems was through their skin and consequently, into their wool.
Sheepskins are commonly used in cots and prams that babies lie on get hot; the heavy metals and toxic gases are released, and the baby breathes them in. It is especially toxic in a non-ventilated cot or pram. Casey had spent the first seven months of his life, during the day, sleeping on a sheepskin rug in his pram at work, in a very non-ventilated room. It all made perfect sense. I emailed Dr Sprott in New Zealand asking for his opinion on the results of Casey’s hair test. Much to my shock, shortly after emailing, he phoned me from New Zealand.
He too was amazed by the levels of heavy metals in Casey’s system but mentioned he had seen levels this high before. He had seen levels as high as Casey’s in the autopsies of babies who had died from Cot Death. The fact we still had our son was a miracle. He asked if he was developmentally delayed, and I mentioned that other than toilet training, at that point in time, he was actually quite bright and had reached all of his developmental milestones. We talked about allergies, and he asked for the measurements of my son’s bed. The next day he posted me a specially designed wrap for his mattress to stop any toxic chemicals escaping.
Steven used chelating therapy to lower the levels of heavy metals and then re-programmed Casey’s body not to respond to the food that had made him so sick. Within a few months Casey was eating muffins with dairy and egg in them and ate his first fish finger, without any signs of anaphylaxis. In all of the Doctors rooms I have visited I have not yet found anyone as dedicated to making people healthy as Steven. He tirelessly looks for the cause to many health and behavioral issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, ADHD and even Multiple Sclerosis. His answers make a sense and his approach to healing is extremely effective.
Steven’s clinic, N.E.W. Health (Nutritional, Environmental, Whole Health) is located in Melbourne, Australia but people fly from all over the country to seek his expertise in solving the mystery of their illnesses. Why are people eating every day foods and getting sick from them? Steven has flown all over the world to solve this modern health puzzle and as unconventional as some of his techniques are, they work!
We still visit Steven on a regular basis for health tune-ups. My husband can now drink wine without sneezing and doesn’t have an asthma attack when he vacuum’s under the bed. Casey’s general demeanor and behavior has improved greatly as well. He just feels so much better. We still carry an epi-pen with us and stay well clear of tree nuts and peanuts but we sleep a lot better at night and not just due to my husband’s newly found cleaning skills!